You have decided to invest in your personal brand and have several ways to achieve visibility , as explained Andrés Pérez, an expert in personal branding . The first one is through ” 1 to 1 ” meetings , having a coffee, making a more formal presentation or at a networking event.
The second one is ” from 1 to several “, that is, you speak of what you know how to do to a group of people, be it in a round table, a seminar, talk or conference. And the third is ” 1 to all “, taking advantage of the enormous advantages offered by the internet.
Linkedin for professionals
Today I want to talk to you about one of the tools to show you “1 to all”, Linkedin . It is one of the most established professional social networks . It was born more than a decade ago, so its launch is prior to the many social networks we have talked about previously ( Twitter , Google Plus , Instagram or Pinterest , for example).
Currently, it has more than 200 million users in the world and in the US it has a very high degree of penetration. In Spain it has more than 3 million registered users .
Linkedin is much more than an online curriculum vitae . Through this network you can establish a network of contacts with different degrees of relationship. They can be direct connections , connections of each of your direct connections, which are the connections of the second degree , and connections of the connections of the second degree, which are those of the third degree .
Your profile contains personal data , training and professional experiences. You can decide the information you want to be public (for anyone looking for your name) and what your contacts will see once you approve their request.
Before configuring your privacy options, keep in mind that it is a tool used by more than 50% of recruiters and that can also be used by suppliers and potential clients to contact you.
Precisely for that reason, it is important that you select very well the data that you include in your profile, to position yourself correctly. Remember that they must be aligned with your personal brand goals.
What opportunities does Linkedin offer?
- Possibility of looking for contacts by professional categories, classified by sectors and even by the specific name of the company with which you want to contact.
- It facilitates the search for new professional opportunities . Your CV may be consulted by human resources professionals.
- Participation in groups and debate with professionals in your sector.
- Contact companies / brands with which you want to establish business relationships.
- Plan your professional goals in the medium and long term and expand your network of contacts according to your future interests.
According to the statistics, one out of every three Linkedin users have changed or opted for a better job thanks to their presence in this network.
Make a difference with your profile on Linkedin
- Dedicate time . An incomplete profile, written in capital letters or with some lack of spelling can cause you serious harm. Also, you must keep it updated.
- Choose your profile picture carefully . Remember that it is a network with professional purposes so you should not use “cropped” images, pixelated or in a playful environment. The ideal: image with a smooth, clear background, facing forward.
- Link your profile with your blog, web and / or Twitter account.
- Position yourself correctly, choosing the right keywords. It’s the way they can find you.
- Share your profile and include it in your email signature, business card, web, etc.
- Participate in the groups . It is an excellent way to interact with other users of the network that belong to your same sector.
- Ask for recommendations to people with whom you have worked.